Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Classroom Theme and Community

I always love kicking off my school year with a theme that I can unite all my students.

Here are a few of my themes I have used in the past.

Each year my school chooses a semester theme that each grade level explores and investigates.  Last Fall is was COMMUNICATION.  I chose to start the year talking about how bees communicate and used this theme throughout the semester.  I kept the bee hive up all year and had a "cell"/hexagon for each student in my class with their name and hand print.  The bees were made in groups of 2-3 students.  They picked their own materials and created their own bees.

The previous year the Fall semester theme was WATER.  I started the year reading Rainbow Fish and talked about how we are all unique and special!  I kept up the large Rainbow Fish up all year with student names on each scale.

This year coming year our theme will be MUSIC.  I am thinking I will have to start the year with Pete the Cat and his groovy new shoes....stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment